Steroids were invented during the first quarter of the 20th century. Since then, they’ve been used to treat various medical conditions including puberty delays, low appetite, chronic wasting conditions due to cancer, AIDS, bone growth etc. Anabolic steroids are commonly known for their impressive enhancement of muscle growth and athletic performance. These substances are derived from the male hormone, testosterone and hence, also possess androgenic qualities. So, they also affect sexual characteristics when used.
Due to their ability to enhance strength and athletic performance, many sportspeople started abusing these drugs as early as the 60s. Overdose and wrong usage lead to various side-effects and to control use of steroids, many countries imposed restrictions on their manufacture and distribution. Today, anabolic steroids can ONLY be purchased with a valid prescription.
The most common effects of the intake of anabolic steroids are:
• Increases bone growth.
• Increases muscle growth in a short period of time, and thereby increases overall body mass.
• Burns excess body fat and reduces weight considerably.
• Affects sexual characteristics. In men, this means higher estrogen levels as the body works to balance hormone levels. The breast-like features might be developed further. Women may face a change in the working of vocal chords and therefore a deeper voice.
• Increases growth of hair (head, facial and pubic).
• Elevates blood pressure.
• Increases LDL cholesterol levels and decreases HDL levels. This may lead to cardiovascular complications.
• Increases acne levels.
With all of that said, the reader is advised to be extremely careful when choosing to actually buy anabolic steroids. Looking to acquire these without a medical prescription might lead to illegal dealings and finally, legal troubles. Also, you must seek and heed professional medical advice at every level of steroid usage. This ensures safe and beneficial use of these substances.
Effects of steroids
Anabolic steroids are most commonly known for their usage in sports and bodybuilding. These steroids are capable of manipulating protein synthesis within the muscular cells, thereby stimulating growth. Anabolic steroids are so called because they boost anabolic processes. They are direct derivatives of testosterone, the male hormone, and thus possess certain androgenic properties which allow them to affect sexual processes.
Steroids find extensive use in competitive sports, bodybuilding and modeling because of their effectiveness. However, they do have their own share of harmful side-effects. The most common effects of anabolic steroids are:
• Disturbance in hormone production. This is because steroids are hormones themselves and the excess of testosterone disturbs the hormone balance, prompting the body to work to restore the balance.
• Increased estrogen. This happens due to imbalance of hormones. Results in breast-enlargement in men. In women, enlargement of the clitoris, hair growth and deepening of the voice are most common.
• Possible liver damage. This is known to happen when steroids are consumed orally. The reason is that many enzymes in the liver are altered due to the nature of anabolic steroids.
• Elevated cholesterol levels. Many sportspeople who use steroids have been tested to show high LDL and low HDL levels of cholesterol.
• Cardiovascular complications. The alteration of cholesterol levels might lead to heart-related diseases.
• Increased blood pressure.
• Increased acne levels.
• Possible sterility. Although rare, it is a potential risk which may occur due to the imbalance in testosterone levels.
Considering the harmful effects, it is the responsibility of the reader to do his/her research before actually deciding to buy anabolic steroids. Due to popular abuse of these substances, they have been banned by almost all major sports bodies. Not only that, many countries including the USA place them under “controlled substances”. It is illegal to purchase them without a prescription. Hence, be aware of the consequences before buying steroids.